Saturday, March 8, 2008

Nice Synopsis on The Wire






I have no idea who this pommy Charlie Brooker is, but he does a pretty good job at analysing one of my, if not, favourite television shows; The Wire. He touches on the socio and political issues throughout the series and claims it to be the "best tv series in the past 20 years".

I highly recommend this show to anyone who has not seen it. I got into it through its buzz within the hip hop circles, but I have recently passed it on to a metal head brother and a sports fanatical friend, and the feedback I got back was incredible. My brother even went as far as finishing the first 3 seasons (37 hours of episodes) in under 2 weeks!.

If I had to describe it myself, I would say the following words. Drug Trade meets Police Department, meets Education System, meets the Media, meets City Hall. It is a multi-faceted look at the social and political issues that are prevalent within many American communities. Set in Baltimore, it is complex and character driven. This is no sugar coated bad guys versus good guys type bullshit (insert corny police drama here). After watching a couple seasons, you become sympathetic and empathetic towards most characters. Their fate is unknown, they are simply doing what they know best.

Warning, don't watch this if you have just started watching The Wire as it touches on scenarios from Season 3.


So what are you waiting for? You have 5 Seasons to catch up!

No comments: